Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In

Skip Navigation LinksContactUs Contact Us

Contact Us

There are many ways to contact your City! This page includes contact information for our customer service centre, links to corporate social media channels, ways to submit a complaint, and more.

Service Barrie FAQs, November 2021

The top five questions we're receiving, or anticipate receiving, through our customer contact centre regarding City services:

Why did I receive a tax arrears notice?

Tax arrears notices are automatically generated to any account with an overdue balance. Some examples of what the arrears may be are:

  • Overdue property taxes (most recent and final due date for 2021 was September 30th) - See Tax Billing Notices for more information.
  • Overdue water bills transferred to tax roll (owner or tenant account linked to property address)
  • New account fee for ownership changes ($38)
  • Overdue property standards fines transferred to tax roll
  • Overdue Accounts Receivable charges transferred to tax roll
When is the city getting carts for curbside collection?

Programs that provide cart-style recycling bins must employ an automated collection vehicle. The City’s current collection contract is based on a manual collection service; anything with a capacity greater than 125 litres and/or weight greater than 45 lbs is not safe for a manual lift by the collectors. City staff are working on a tender document expected to go out for bid in 2022. Automated carts may be an option presented by some bidders. For many municipalities, the use of an automated cart system will be influenced by decisions made by the Province of Ontario in the Blue Box Regulation.

The County of Simcoe is rolling out new garbage and recycling bins. While Barrie is geographically located in Simcoe County, the City of Barrie is governed separately therefore Simcoe County's service change does not impact Barrie residents.

How can I find out when plows or sand/salt trucks maintained my street?

The City is committed to providing a high level of snow removal service throughout the winter season.​​ Visit to view recent winter maintenance updates, and the Plow Tracker (accessible via to view when streets were last serviced.

The City has carefully planned levels of winter road service to combat the diverse weather conditions we see every winter. A combination of City-owned trucks and contracted units provide effective snow plowing services to Barrie roads through our Priority and Secondary route system.

When will transit service be fully restored to normal frequency?

Prior to the pandemic, all bus routes ran on 30-minute frequencies at peak times of the day. Service reductions are currently in place on Routes 2, 3, 4, and 7.
The pandemic has significantly impacted both the City’s public transit services ridership and revenue.

The city continues to closely monitor the performance of its transit services and work to increase service levels back to pre-pandemic levels as ridership and corresponding revenues recover. Any updates will be posted to Please stay tuned.

I see boulevard trees being planted; Can I get one?

The City provides replacement street trees in older areas of Barrie, provided the location conforms with minimum setback standards and is clear of utilities. Trees will be planted during the annual tree planting contract in the spring and/or fall, as budgets permit.

While quantities last, City staff are providing tree watering bags to any resident willing to participate in the Street Tree Watering Program.  

If you would like to request a new tree, participate in the watering program or have concerns about the health of a tree, please contact Service Barrie at (705) 726-4242 or to provide details.

Customer Service Contact Centre
We’re here to help.

Service Barrie provides the public with a central place to obtain information or direction regarding City-related concerns, and ask questions or provide comments about City services and programs. Please also take advantage of Online Services to easily apply for small building permits, pay for parking or speeding tickets, and much more.​


Monday–Friday, 8am–5pm (excluding holidays).
If this is an after-hours emergency (e.g. watermain leak, environmental spill, etc.) please call 705-726-4242 and follow the prompts.​

Monday to Friday, 8am–5pm
​In Person:

Service Barrie is open for in-person services Monday to Friday, 8:30am–4:30pm. No appointments needed except for obtaining marriage licences and commissioning of business licences. Please review Safety Precautions at City Hall.

Please note: payments for invoices, bills, and property taxes are accepted through the drop boxes located at the front and back of City Hall and many services are available at

FAX: 705-739-4237
Mail: City Hall, 70 Collier Street
P.O. Box 400, Barrie, ON, L4M 4T5
For enforcement matters such as parking, animal control, property standards, etc., please contact Enforcement Services​ directly at 705 739-4241, seven days per week.

Service Barrie can help you:

Pay property taxes, water bills, parking tickets, business licence applications/renewals
Purchase transit passes, parking passes, garbage tags, community garden plots, subdivision papers/map, commemorative trees and benches, zoning compliance letters, marriage licences, commissioning services, pet licences
Pick up recycling boxes and green bins, Community Information & Waste Reduction calendar, pre-ordered engineering drawings, City of Barrie pins
BookArt displays for City Hall, commissioning appointments, marriage licence appointments
Requestsewer and sanitary device drawings, construction projects and capital plan information, information about City services, building inspections
Submit Barrie Transit comments, applications for specialized transit use and general inquiries, residential building applications, second-suite permit applications, building and zoning complaints, request for permitted use forms, reports of graffiti, Operations service requests (e.g. potholes, dead tree replacement, street lights out), bids & tenders, or a claim.

Safety Precautions at City Hall

  • Do not visit City Hall if you are sick or experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.
  • Everyone entering City Hall is required to wear a face covering.
  • Members of the public should access City Hall via the Worsley St. entrance off the parking lot.
  • Capacity limits will be monitored, and you may be asked to wait outside.
  • Signage and floor decals will indicate proper physical distancing.
  • Please use debit or credit cards to pay instead of cash or cheques, as much as possible.

Social Media

The City's Facebook, Twit​ter, and Instagram accounts are actively monitored during office hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30–4:30. Related page: Social Media Policy

Make a Suggestion

The Make a Suggestion forum provides residents with an organized way of expressing, categorizing, and collaborating on suggestions for their City; it also provides City staff with the means to identify and measure ideas that are supported by the community. Make a suggestion and/or vote on others at

Communicate With Council

The City values citizen and stakeholder views and encourages all citizens to share these with Council and Committees in a respectful and open manner. Opinions and concerns can be communicated through informal and formal channels.

Submit a Complaint

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction related to a City of Barrie program, service, facility, or staff member, where a citizen believes that the City has not provided a service experience to the customer’s satisfaction at the point of service delivery and a response or resolution is explicitly or implicitly expected. If you have experienced this, submit a complaint.

Department Contact Form

Use the form below to submit your question or comment to a specific department. For comments of more than 255 characters please email; your message will be directed to the appropriate department.

Contact Us

Looks like your screen is a bit too small

The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a larger screen.