Legislative & Court Services
Occasionally, City Council dedicates City assets in honour of individuals and community organizations who have made significant contributions to public life and the well-being of the people of Barrie. This page includes all dedications made since 2015.
The following community members have had City assets dedicated in their honour since 2015. These dedications are in recognition of their significant contributions to our city. View each listing to learn more about how they’ve impacted Barrie as we know it today:
Sam Cancilla Park is located on the north shore of Kempenfelt Bay, south of Dunlop Street & east of Mulcaster Street
Sam Cancilla served as Alderman for Ward 2 from 1985–1991. As Cancilla’s Fruit & Vegetable Market owner, he contributed to numerous community projects including the Allandale Recreation Centre, Barrie Sports Hall of Fame and Victoria Village, acquiring lands for the Barrie Public Library (downtown), the Grey and Simcoe Foresters Museum and the Barrie Transit terminal (downtown), and maintaining Bayview Park (now renamed in his honour). Sam Cancilla was a strong supporter of initiatives involving youth, sports and the Barrie community.
City Council passed the naming on September 21, 2015. View the recommended motion.
Wyman Jacques Arboretum is located in Sunnidale Park.
Wyman dedicated a significant amount of time and energy throughout his life to improving the community, with a focus on the Barrie Arboretum. He was a member of the Horticultural Society at the Arboretum’s inception in 1974. For over 20 years, he tended the gardens and trees in the 12-acre Arboretum six days a week and assisted families who wished to dedicate a memorial to a loved one by helping them select a tree, having a plaque engraved, digging the hole, and then continuing to water and care for the sapling. In 1984, Wyman became the Chairman of Barrie’s Arboretum.
Wyman's passion for the community extended beyond the Arboretum. Over many years, he volunteered with numerous organizations such as the Bruce Trail Club, Brereton Field Naturalist Club, Barrie Humane Society, Nottawasaga Conservation Club, Central United Church, Barrie Horticultural Society, Citizens on Patrol Program, and the Canadian Red Cross (where he donated over 160 whole units of blood).
He received many awards acknowledging his work, including the Ontario Horticultural Society Silver Fir Award, Barrie Horticultural Society Lifetime Membership Award and Diploma of Service Award, Barrie Chamber of Commerce Award, the Royal Canadian Legion Citizen of the Year Award and the Rotary International Paul Harris Fellow.
The valuable contributions of the numerous members of the Barrie Garden Club (formerly the Barrie Horticultural Society) to the Arboretum will also be acknowledged through interpretative signage at the site.
City Council passed the naming on March 27, 2017. View the recommended motion.
H. John Murphy Water Reservoir & Pumping Station is located in Sunnidale Park
In 1940, Mr. Murphy was the first engineer graduate hired by Barrie's Public Utilities Commission (PUC). During his nearly 40-year tenure, he was responsible for creating Barrie’s modern water and electrical systems. Under his leadership as General Manager, the PUC’s efficiency, including low rates and infrequent power outages, was a major factor in attracting industry to Barrie.
From 1942 to 1946, Mr. Murphy volunteered for service during the Second World War. He was assigned to the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RCEME) regiment and the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade. He was the most junior Allied engineering officer to work on secret weapons projects and his was the first engineer support unit to follow the fighting troops into France on D-Day.
In his lifetime, Mr. Murphy was President of the Ontario Municipal Electric Association, a Director and Secretary-Treasurer of the Georgian Bay Region of the Association of Municipal Electrical Utilities, Chairman of the Advisory Vocational Committee of the Simcoe County Board of Education, and a member of the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario, the Municipal Staff Civil Defence, and the Advisory Board of Barrie District Central Collegiate.
In 1971 he was given an Association of Municipal Electrical Utilities of Ontario award in recognition of his service as President for “conducting the business of the Association both in Canada and Internationally…to the credit of Hydro in Ontario”.
City Council passed the naming on April 10, 2017. View the recommended motion.
Osmond ‘Ossie’ Rowe pedestrian bridge is located in Centennial Park South.
Osmond 'Ossie' Rowe played an integral role in creating Barrie as it is today. A veteran of the Royal Canadian Navy and lifetime member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, Mr. Rowe was the City Solicitor for Barrie for nearly 50 years. He was a volunteer member of Barrie’s waterfront committee in the 1950’s and was instrumental in the decision to create Centennial Park and to establish the City of Barrie Marina. As a Heraldry Society of Canada member, he collaborated in designing Barrie’s Coat of Arms. He was also instrumental in persuading the Ontario Government to transform Barrie from a Town to a City in 1959. Mr. Rowe was appointed Queen’s Counsel and was the first recipient of the Professional Excellence Award of the Simcoe County Legal and Medical Association, and a recipient of the City of Barrie Sesquicentennial Award.
Mr. Rowe supported the city as a volunteer with numerous organizations including the Barrie Community Concert Association, Barrie Harbour Committee, Barrie Lion’s Club, Barrie Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee, Centennial Park Committee, Children’s Aid Society, Collier Street United Church, Kempenfelt Bay Development Committee, Navy League of Canada, and Simcoe County Legal Aid Committee.
City Council passed the naming on September 12, 2016. View the recommended motion.
A poppy can be found on the signs of streets that have been named in honour of local war veterans (for a complete listing, please visit Honouring the Military). The following community members have had streets named in their honour:
Pennell Drive is named in recognition of Dr. Leroy A. Pennell‘s founding and service to the Heritage Baptist Church, located in southwest Barrie.
The Municipal Name Policy is intended to provide a fair, consistent and efficient process with respect to naming, renaming or dedicating municipal assets such as streets, parks and facilities, while respecting the important need for public consultation and legislative approvals.
It outlines the processes to request a naming, how public consultation will take place, the limitations of naming and how the decisions will be made.
Please complete Appendix “A” in the Municipal Naming Policy and ensure the affidavit is commissioned before submitting, or take your application to Legislative & Court Services (1st Floor, City Hall, 70 Collier Street, Barrie ON) to be commissioned.
Unless otherwise directed, any associated costs (including signs, ceremony, legal fees etc.) are paid for by the entity who initiated the process. If a community member/corporate entity initiates the process, the community member/corporate entity will cover all costs. If the City initiates the process, the City will cover all costs. Please view the recommended motion for each naming to learn how costs were covered.
The page you are attempting to view is not currently compatible
with the dimensions of your device. Please visit this page on a
There are no items to display.